Thursday, April 22, 2010

death - an ever-present reality

A few thoughts on Alberta Whitaker.


She was never afraid to tell me the truth. I appreciated that quality (at some points more than others.) She would never give me a haircut that would look terrible on me or that I wouldn't put the effort into maintaining.

She told me that she knew when I was very young that I would go into the ministry. She was right, sort of. I am in the ministry - but perhaps not in the capacity she had imagined. She was always supportive of me.

She was a great great mother - growing up I looked up to Amy and Jeff. Great kids come from great parents.

She was very generous - with her time, with her talent, with her love. She helped those in need - including me. I could not have finished seminary without her.

She loved God and she loved her family. That was a trait that she shared with her mother. A mother she will now spend eternity with.

Alberta - I know God is pleased with you and the way you lived your life. You have touched so many lives and though you are not here with us - your memory will be.


0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP