Saturday, August 29, 2009

Planning and Prayer

This week has been a lot of making contacts. Early in the week I made up and sent out a newsletter to every household with children in middle school and high school. Then I emailed every email address I could find in my office as well as add every student I could find on Facebook. Not to mention fielding new text messages from students who now have my number via my newsletter. It is sort of strange to put so much effort in putting myself out there just hoping people will respond to me without actually having met me or having only met me briefly.


One major accomplishment for the week was buying and assembling my bookshelf. I needed another bookshelf in the office because I just have a lot of books (didn't even bring them all to the office!) There is a scratch in one side, but other than that it turned out pretty well considering I did it all on my own.

The other major accomplishment was beginning to plan for my first joint event with another church - See You At the Pole. It is a nation-wide event where students gather around the flagpole at their school early in the morning to pray. They pray for their teachers, leaders, coaches up through state-wide, national and world leaders. It was something I did in high school and I'm excited to take part in it again.

Thursday night I went to a board of education meeting. Basically, I teach the high school Sunday School class and then later Sunday afternoon - they see me again for youth fellowship. That's a lot of Katie in one day, I think. Especially considering I have to come up with stuff to do - they don't have any sort of expectation or curriculum for me to use. It has been suggested to me that I write my own curriculum or to study a specific book - so perhaps I will come up with a few options and discuss them with the students on Rally Sunday.

On a slightly more interesting and fun note, my parents and my brother's children came to visit today! It was so great for them to be in my apartment - I think I got the seal of approval from the kids. Randi really liked my bathroom and my shoe racks...random I know. Randi and Jacob also liked sitting on my balcony and eating their strawberry fruit bars. Lizzie enjoyed the park across the street. Overall - a successful trip.

I have a lot to look forward to this coming week. My first home sporting events, friends coming to visit and Lifelight is next weekend - first youth activity for me. Pray for me. Please. :)

2 comments:

Natalie August 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

Yay, for another week! I'll be praying that you have guidance and wisdom as you decide what to teach and/or what curriculum to use. Love you friend!

Jennifer August 31, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

I'll be praying for you also Katie! The Lord reminds me to pray for you in random ways (like when "Disturbia" comes up on my playlist, or someone says "lefse", or when I watch "The Emperor's New Groove"...). :-) Miss you!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP