Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Advent Reflection

I told my mother this week that if I ever had children, I would probably not be a good parent. Certain events have passed that make me believe I would be an overbearing parent and would have a hard time being compassionate when the child defies me to make really stupid choices. As a youth pastor, this happens frequently since I work with teenagers and they are the age group that exemplifies this behavior (but the behavior is by no means limited to teenagers.) I have certain youth that I have invested much of my time and energy guiding and listening to and one of them let me down this week. It shouldn't have been as big of deal for me as it was, but I reacted terribly. I was angry. I have spent all this time telling them what to do, what not to do, etc. And they do what they want anyway. It's really frustrating!

So what does this story have to do with advent other than this happened during the season of advent? I'm so glad you asked.

This is the same story that we read in the Old Testament between Israel and God. Israel is that teenager that absolutely refuses to trust that God is God and keeps doing what they want. And it doesn't turn out well for them. By being disobedient, short-sited, and never satisfied, Israel managed to split into 2 countries. Both countries managed to be conquered by larger nations,and they manage to majorly corrupt the temple (the House of God.) Over and over God sends prophets to warn them, to correct them, to guide them but the people don't listen.

Then they come to God and complain about how terrible their lives are. How could he have let this happen? It wasn't their fault that they were conquered - did you see how big that army was?!?! I have to think God felt a little like I did this week. "I've told you over and over again!! This is the consquences of your choices!" If God were me, the phrase "Suck it up and deal with it" might be some where in the Old Testament - perhaps coming out of the mouth of Isaiah.

Instead, God has Isaiah say, "Comfort my people. Speak tenderly to them." They have so royally screwed up but instead of abandoning his people, God comforts them. Not only that, he says that he'll send one to fix it - to save them from the mess they created.

Sometimes I don't get how God can do that. When I really stop and dwell on it I cannot believe what he promises and what he delivered that night in Bethlehem. The frustrated youth pastor who wants to swear of kids part of me says, "They don't deserve this! They'll never learn!" The sinner in me says, "Praise God - I don't deserve this but I am so humbled by it."

May you be humbled this advent season at the mercy you have been shown by God - a mercy that is beyond anything I can muster and beyond anything any of us deserve.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP