Monday, November 30, 2009

Girls Fun Night

This Saturday night we had a Girls Fun Night - the counterpart to Boys Night Out. The girls did not disappoint - we had about 10 high school girls show up for a night of games, nachos and watching my Daren Streblow DVD.


This night, more than anything, was another in a long line of learning experiences for me. First of all, girls do not interact with each other like boys do. Second, girls do everything together. I forgot this. I have spent so much time on my own, that I forgot about the natural tendency girls have to do things together - as one large group. At Boys Night Out - there were only 3 boys and only 2 times during the course of the evening were they all doing the same activity at the same time - when we ate and when we watched the Tim Hawkins video. With the girls - only 2 points in the evening did they not do something all together - and they were very brief. I am not saying this is a bad thing - just wasn't expecting it.

I am thankful for the wonderful young women here in Milbank. In some ways it is a little more difficult for me to interact with the girls because it reminds me so much more of when I was in high school - I see myself in these girls. It is a good kind of challenge, though.

On Sunday morning, I brought muffins to Sunday School. I was a little tired, but nothing compared to the students who showed up. It was like talking about miracles to a bunch of zombies. I should have been running for the door fearing for my life...except these zombies didn't really move. They didn't really talk. They didn't really react to anything...except the muffins.

Sunday evening we had youth and it was good, but strange. I had a lot of kids that have never come before and a few that I know to be members of other churches. I had a pretty good feeling they were there to play the game we were going to play after the lesson. The dynamics were a lot different last night and without any other adult support - I was a little nervous as to how the night would go. I think it went well - don't know how much they cared about my awesome lesson on Advent - but we were creating memories.

I keep reminding myself that it is not my job to make them commit to being a Christian. My job is to keep pointing to Christ and trusting that God will use what I do for his glory - even my many many mistakes.

2 comments:

Shelly November 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

Girlfriend,
You have quite the heart. You are right - you keep letting Jesus be Jesus to them. Just love them. That is truly what they need and want.

PS - I would've come for both your Advent lesson and the muffins :)

Jennifer December 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

Love your reflections on the boys/girls. When I read this stuff it makes me miss my kiddos so much!

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP